These muffins are my mum’s favourite! So, as it was her birthday yesterday, I got up early to make them and the smell that filled the house was absolutely mouth-watering 🙂
Luckily, they only took 20 mins tops, to make (I did the icing the day before, and let it harden up overnight) so we could devour them quickly for breakfast. Yes, that’s right. These are healthy enough to have for the most important meal of the day!!
Carrot Cake and Raisin Cupcakes with “Cream Cheese” Frosting
Makes 12 Cupcakes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg and allspice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 11/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins (optional.. also.. what’s the difference? can someone please clear this up for me..)
- 1 can coconut cream, whipped (must leave can in the fridge, the night before)
OR 1 cup Cashews
- 2 tbsp Agave nectar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and spices together.
- Whisk together the olive oil, egg white, agave nectar, vanilla and Greek yoghurt until well combined. Then gently fold in the shredded carrot.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the sultanas and stir until combined. Ensure not to over mix, as this can cause the batter to become to chewy and tough.
- Spoon into patty cases and bake for 10-12 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by either whipping all the ingredients with the coconut cream until peaks hold OR processing all the ingredients with the cashews until creamy.
- Place the icing in the fridge for an hour before icing cupcakes, then serve immediately, or return to fridge until serving.
Now I’ll just leave you with more pics
of my cat. I mean.. the cupcakes.